Susan Young, a subject matter expert and surviving parent, has trained thousands of personnel, private entities, doctors, law enforcement, houses of worship, teachers, and communities across the nation and around the world, informing of the dangers and indicators of trafficking. She has worked alongside governors, congressman, and senators, to ensure proper legislation is passed to prosecute the traffickers and to provide aid to victims and their families. Susan believes that trafficking not only affects the victims themselves, but the family as a whole.
When Susan’s eldest daughter was trafficked, it impacted every member of her family. At that time, there were limited resources for parents and siblings to seek advise, help, counsel, and healing. Subsequently, in 2017, Susan created the Parent Coalition To End Human Trafficking, an organization whose mission was to bridge the gap for families struggling to overcome the devastation left by traffickers. She created a support curriculum to aid the family in their journey towards healing, providing guidance to locate resources, navigating the criminal justice system, and delivering support for siblings and other family members. Susan has participated and led numerous conferences, delivered training, and provided mentorship and advisory at all levels of government and industry, including:
- Panelist for the White House Trafficking and Department of Justice Law Enforcement Summit in 2020
- Guest Speaker at the Rotary International Convention in Hamburg Germany in 2019
- Alongside the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) and the International Association of Police, Susan and her colleagues trained over 3,000 law enforcement officers
- Guest Speaker at UNC Pembroke Trafficking Conference
- Trained Georgia State leadership and Georgia Power
- Worked with Vietnam Veterans of America
- Guest Speaker and trained law enforcement at the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Training Academy
- Trained Fairfax County deputies and sheriffs
- Trained victims’ advocates for the U.S. Department of Forest Service
- Subject matter expert for NCMEC to train health care providers, counselors, and Secret Service.
- Susan’s 2017 testimony to the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors made the way for a county-wide trafficking task force; as a result, the board allocated permanent funding to help eradicate trafficking
Susan also supports a call-in center for parents and victims all over the world, providing information, aid, and support.